DC4 FSX

Frequently asked Questions regarding the use of this forum.
2450 Leon Vermeulen

DC4 FSX

Post by 2450 Leon Vermeulen »

Hi Guys
Have we got a FSX DC4 download with a similar cockpit than that of the FS9 cockpit?
Regards Leon 2450
Leon DCA2450
Line Captain :pilot:
0240 Howard Walker

Re: DC4 FSX

Post by 0240 Howard Walker »

Hi Leon,
As far as I know, the only DC-4 we use is the freeware one by Jens B. Kristensen DC-4 V3. I think you can find it on AVSIM.com On our Main website, under Our Fleet, there is a file to download that has our livery for this plane. I do not know which panel is in the plane. Through the years, Norm Hancock has given us some free panels for this plane, but I do not see them now. You might put a post in the Aircraft, Panels, and Other Fleet Issues page below and see if Norm responds.
Howard
I only know that I know just enough to know that I don't know!
2450 Leon Vermeulen

Thx Howard.
Regards Leon
Leon DCA2450
1176 Don Mastrianni

Post by 1176 Don Mastrianni »

Howard,the DC4 plane in our fleet down load has the Norm Hancock panel....Norm put that together years ago....I was one of the testors....
2450 Leon Vermeulen

Hi Don
I can only find DC4 texture download for FSX. Where can I find the plane download?
regards Leon
Leon DCA2450
0240 Howard Walker

Post by 0240 Howard Walker »

Hi Leon,
The plane is not on our web page, but can be found at www.avsim.com
Go there and click on the Avsim Library and do a search in FSX aircraft for this file
dc4_v30x.zip
by Jens B. Kristensen
If you have not done so already, you must create an account at www.avsim.com. It is free and will allow you to download any of their files and to post on their forum.
Howard
I only know that I know just enough to know that I don't know!
1176 Don Mastrianni

Post by 1176 Don Mastrianni »

Leon,John Bell has a lot of aircraft on His Forum dca1013.com------He has all the dc4's dc3's Argo's ect....go there and fill your boots!!!!!
2450 Leon Vermeulen

Thx Don :pilot2:
Regards Leon
Leon DCA2450
2542 Doug Averill

Post by 2542 Doug Averill »

It's been a while since anyone posted to this thread. For the DC-4, in FSX, what are you flying and where did you get it. And how do you like it.
Thanks
2542 Doug Averill
0852 John Lawler

Post by 0852 John Lawler »

Doug, as far as I know, the Jens Kristensen DC-4 (from AVSIM) is the best (possibly the only) free one around for FSX. I use it for FS9. It's a nice aircraft to fly, with lots of power (with 2 engines out, an unloaded DC-4 with less than 50% fuel, and dead props feathered should be able to climb at 120kias).

The 2 important things to remember, compared to a DC-3, are:- (1) takeoff - if you don't use 25% (in real life 20*) flaps (2) descent - slow down before you start to descend, otherwise it'll start running downhill too fast to get the props down.

JBK also does the North Star/dc4m/Argonaut (also on AVSIM) - these are basically "go-faster" (and noisier) DC-4s, and the pressurised ones are ideal for crossing the Alps or the Andes without tears. As the Merlin engines have automatic mixture controls, you also have fewer levers to worry about.

I don't think there's a FSX Carvair (pity!), though the big difference between it and the DC-4 is remembering that your seat is about 10 feet further from the ground. so if landing by eyeball you need to flare earlier...

As for where to fly the "4" - the world's your oyster. Have you thought about the Maintenance Division? We go almost everywhere, and we're a bit short of pilots, and very short of 4-engined ones, so please feel free to PM me about joining.
John L (DCA-0852)
Coordinator, Maintenance Division (Ubendum Wemendum)